This page will be updated through the term with suggested additional secondary (scholarly) sources for different topics on the syllabus. It is currently under construction. Feel free to email the instructor with requests for further texts and resources.
Additional primary texts
Socrates and Socratic Philosophy
- John Cooper, Pursuits of Wisdom (Princeton, 2012), ch. 1 (Introduction) and ch. 2 (Socrates) [Online, UBC Library].
- General introduction to the theme of “ancient philosophy as a way of life” and Socrates as the founder of the tradition.
- Ruby Blondell, The Play of Character in Plato’s Dialogues (Cambridge, 2002) [Online, UBC Library].
- A culturally sensitive literary study of the “construction” of Socrates in Plato’s dialogues.
- The elenchus: Gregory Vlastos (1983). The Socratic Elenchus. Oxford Studies in Ancient Philosophy, 1, 27–58.
- “What is F?” Question: P.T. Geach (1966). Plato’s Euthyphro. Monist 50.3, 369-92.
Plato and love of individuals
- T. Brian Mooney, “Plato and the Love of Individuals,” HeyJ 43 (2002), 311-27.
- F. C. White, “Love and the Individual in Plato’s Phaedrus”, Classical Quarterly 40.2 (1990), 396-406.
- Both responding to a classic article by Gregory Vlastos, summarized here.